Dependency and Indemnity Compensation

Many searches to our web site have asked about receiving DIC. Veterans should let their family know where all important papers regarding VA connected disability are located. Dependents can contact any VSO, Arizona Department of Veterans Services, or the VA for assistance.

The information below is from the VA's web site.

VA Department of Veterans Affairs

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

What Is DIC

DIC is a monthly benefit paid to eligible survivors of a

military service member who died while on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training,OR

Note:  A surviving spouse who remarries on or after December 16, 2003, and on or after attaining age 57, is entitled to continue to receive DIC.

Note:  Certain helpless adult children are entitled to DIC.  Call the toll-free number below for the eligibility requirements.
The surviving parent(s) may be eligible for an income-based benefit.  See our fact sheet, Parents’ DIC.

How Much Does VA Pay?

The basic monthly rate of DIC is $1195 (Dec 1, 2011) for an eligible surviving spouse.  The rate is increased for each dependent child, and also if the surviving spouse is housebound or in need of aid and attendance.  VA also adds a transitional benefit of $286 to the surviving spouse’s monthly DIC if there are children under age 18.  The amount is based on a family unit, not individual children.  Benefit rate tables, including those for children alone and parents, can be found on the Internet at or call the toll-free number below. 

How Should a Claimant Apply?

Claimants should complete VA Form 21-534 Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, Death Pension and Accrued Benefits by a Surviving Spouse or Child.

What Are Some Related Benefits?

Health Care (CHAMPVA)                                         Federal Employment Preference
Home Loan Guaranty                                               Survivors' & Dependents' Educational Assistance

For More Information, Call Toll-Free 1-800-827-1000

or Visit VA’s Web Site at
Compensation and Pension Service – December 2008